Effective from 1 August 2019
- Consent to the collection of your personal information
- Collection of your personal information
- Personal information we may collect
- Use of your personal information
- Protecting your personal information
- Retention of your personal information
- Sharing your personal information
- Credit card security
- Third party links
- Website and App tracking and measurement
- Online Advertising
- Accessing your personal information
- Correction of your personal information
You must provide us with, and authorise any other person who holds information about you or the members of your household and your property to disclose, any information we reasonably request in relation to our provision of services to you.
3. Consent to the collection of your personal information
- Verifying any information that you give to us (or information that we may collect from other sources) with third parties and third party databases, including the network company, other electricity suppliers, Government agencies (including but not limited to NZ Transport Authority, Motor Vehicle Register).
- Carrying out credit checks on you for the purposes of debt recovery and/or credit checking agencies and/or our Representatives and/or our lawyers for the purpose of reporting on your payment history, collecting outstanding moneys and/or credit checking, and other electricity suppliers in New Zealand and/or their agents for credit reference and credit checking purposes.
- Verifying any information that you give to us (or information that we may collect from other sources) with third parties and third party databases for the purposes of fraud prevention or the Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act 2009.
- Where you have voluntarily given us your driver or vehicle licence information, this information may also be disclosed to a credit reporting agency and the Ministry of Justice as part of the checks we may undertake with them.
- Verifying whether you are a vulnerable customer which may include us requesting information from your (or a member of your) household's doctor, any District Health Board, the Ministry of Social Development including Work and Income New Zealand and Family and Community Services or from any source trusted by us.
- Your network operator and our Representatives for the purposes of supplying you with electricity and associated products and services.
- Any person in connection with any dispute organisation or scheme that we are a member of and any person to whom we are required to disclose such information either by law or in compliance with the Code or other Industry Codes and Standards.
You authorise any third party to provide your personal information to us for any of these purposes. You understand that if we disclose your personal information to a credit reporting agency, they may hold your information on their credit reporting database and use it for providing credit reporting services and for any other lawful purpose and they may disclose your information to their subscribers for the purpose of credit checking or debt collection or for any other lawful purpose.
4. Collection of your personal information
We will collect personal information submitted by you through the Website or App, information on your browsing activity when using the Website or App, any communication with Electric Kiwi directly via writing, phone, or email, and information obtained through your use of the Services including promotions, surveys, recording of customer calls and live chat. We may supplement the information you provide us with information we receive from third parties who are involved in your electricity supply.
5. Personal information we may collect
We may, in addition to other information, collect the following information about you:
- Your name, email address, residential address, telephone number, gender association and date of birth.
- Financial information (although we do not store any credit card numbers).
- Preference information and marketing preferences.
- Information that you provide to us when we communicate with you.
- Details of your device, browser, domain name and IP address, and the details of any website you linked from to the Website or App.
- Other additional information required from time to time.
If you choose not to provide information when we ask for it, you may not be able to utilise the Website, App or the Services.
6. Use of your personal information
The information that we collect from you may be used for a number of purposes relating to our business, which include:
- To confirm, assess, and ascertain your suitability to setup an account with us and utilise the services.
- Assessing your credit worthiness.
- Performing the services and any assistance required in connection with the services.
- To satisfy our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To contact you to ensure customer satisfaction in respect of our role as your electricity provider.
- To monitor, improve and administer the Website and App.
- Responding and following up on any queries, complaints or requests you might have made, and other customer care issues.
- Enable us to conduct surveys and analyse information pertaining to users of the Services, App and Website.
- To enable us to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations to you and other third parties involved in the supply of electricity to you and your property.
- To enable us to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations in connection with legal proceedings, crime or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution.
- Debt collection.
If you post messages directly or indirectly to our Website or App or elsewhere (including our Facebook page or other social media), we may collect and keep the information in those messages. If you decide to try to sign up on our Website or App to become our customer and you enter your contact details but you do not successfully complete the sign-up process, or your application is declined, we may contact you to see if we can help you finish signing up and/ or to get your feedback. If we do this, we will use the personal details you have entered on the sign up page to contact you. We may also retain any information supplied by you in our database.
7. Protecting your personal information
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up-to-date and stored in a secure environment protected from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
8. Retention of your personal information
We will hold your personal information both before and after the cancellation of your account, but only for so long as we are lawfully entitled to do so. This includes, for example, using your personal information for our general business purposes, to contact you if you switch electricity retailers in order to finalise your account and obtain feedback on our services, and if you owe us any money.
9. Sharing your personal information
We will keep confidential all personal information collected about you. The only exceptions to this are:
- The disclosure relates to the purpose for which the information was collected.
- You have provided us with express consent to disclose your personal information.
- We may disclose certain personal information about you to third-party service-providers solely in the course of their provision of services to us. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that these service-providers are obligated to keep confidential any of your personal information that they receive and use.
- Any person or organisation authorised by the Privacy Act 1993.
- Persons or organisations to whom we may be required to pass your personal information for the purposes of complying with any legal, governmental or regulatory requirement on us or in connection with legal proceedings, crime or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution.
- In the event that we intend to enter into a major corporate transaction such as a sale of assets or control or we list on a stock exchange, we may disclose your personal information to third parties. If we disclose your personal information, we will take reasonable steps to ensure it remains confidential.
Our Representatives (as that term is defined in our general Terms and Conditions), including debt recovery and credit checking agencies, to whom we may disclose your personal information may:
- Pass and disclose that information to other debt recovery and/or credit checking agencies and their subscribers;
- Use that information for the purposes of debt recovery and/or credit checking;
- Publish that information on their debt recovery and/or credit checking databases; and/or
- Provide that information to third parties for purposes of checking repayment history and/or creditworthiness.
10. Credit card security
Your credit card information is transmitted using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol, which encrypts your information. Payments will be processed after your invoice is sent, or when validating your details, each as described in our Terms and Conditions. We do not keep your credit card or bank account details. Your full credit card details will be encrypted and securely stored by a PCI compliant third party online payment provider.
11. Third party links
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services on our Website. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
Cookies are small pieces of information that can be stored on your hard drive (persistent cookies) or computer memory (session cookies). Cookies help us understand which parts of our Website are most popular, where our visitors are going, and how long they spend there.
13. Website and App tracking and measurement
We use third party Website and App trackers including but not limited to Google, DoubleClick, Facebook, Bing, Optimizely, Hotjar to collect information on how you use our Website and/or App. The services are used to aggregate statistics anonymously, such as number of page views, the number of unique visitors, time spent on our site, and to determine advertising effectiveness.
14. Online Advertising
We use remarketing or similar audiences and demographics and interest reporting to gather information for online advertising which allow us to reach people who have previously visited our Website, and to match the right people with the right message. It could mean that we advertise to previous visitors who haven’t completed a task on our Website, for example completing signup. This could be in the form of an advertisement on the Google search results page, or a site in the Google Display Network, or via third party vendors who show our advertisements across the internet.
You can opt out in the following ways:
15. Accessing your personal information
If you are a customer of Electric Kiwi, you may access some of the personal information that we hold about you in the "Your Account" section of the Website or App. You may request access to all of the personal information that we hold about you by send a message via the ‘contact us’ link on our website or by writing to:
Electric Kiwi Limited
PO Box 106165
Please quote your name, email address, phone number, and address, along with a brief description of the information you would like a copy of.
16. Correction of your personal information
If the information held by us is inaccurate, incomplete or not up to date, you may ask us to correct the information. You can do this by updating the information contained within your profile on the Website or App. Where this is not possible, you can advise us of the correct information by contacting us as described above.