3 easy tips to kick your free power savings off
1. Get a timer or use your appliances in-built timers.
This a must-do! Plug-in appliance timers start from under $5 for a simple version, or you can get wifi gadgets such as the WeMo switch, which allow you to turn on and off appliances from anywhere via an app.
2. Washing machine - set the timer or turn on during your free hour.
3. Dishwasher - set the timer or turn on during your free hour.
If you did those last two just 5 times a week, you’re already getting 10% of your power for free. Nice!
Keen to save even more? How about:
4. Dryer- set a timer or turn on during your free hour.
5. Dehumidifier – set a timer or turn on during your free hour.
6. Charge devices - plug in phones, tablets, laptops (don’t forget to switch off at the wall once you’re done).
7. Take a shower or a bath – hot water heating is a major source of electricity use.
8. Vaccuming – more fun when the power’s free (hey, we’re trying to find a positive!)
9. Ironing – Ditto.
10. Cooking – bake, or get tonight’s dinner on the go.
11. TV – sometimes we all need a little break from the kids/work/chores.
12. Heat pump/heaters - get the house toasty before the kids get home from school.
13. Heat panels – get the bedrooms toasty before bed.
14. Electric blanket – warm up before you snuggle down.
15. DIY – charge up power tools or plug in and get reno-ing.
16. Gardening – use for electric hedge trimmers and lawnmowers.
17. Spa/pool – set the pump timer to maximize your free hour.
18. Fans – cool down your room on those humid summer evenings.
19. Christmas/party lights – get festive for free.
20. Have a drink on us – power up your juicer, coffee machine, nutri-ninja, or blender on the house.