- Verifying any information that you give to us (or information that we may collect from other sources) with third parties and third party databases, including the network company, other electricity suppliers, Government agencies (including but not limited to NZ Transport Authority, Motor Vehicle Register, Personal Property Securities Register).
- Carrying out credit checks on you for the purposes of debt recovery and/or credit checking agencies and/or our Representatives and/or our lawyers for the purpose of reporting on your payment history, collecting outstanding moneys and/or credit checking, and other electricity suppliers in New Zealand and/or their agents for credit reference and credit checking purposes.
- Verifying any information that you give to us (or information that we may collect from other sources) with third parties and third party databases for the purposes of fraud prevention or the Anti-Money Laundering and Countering Financing of Terrorism Act 2009.
- Where you have voluntarily given us your driver or vehicle licence information, this information may also be disclosed to a credit reporting agency and the Ministry of Justice as part of the checks we may undertake with them.
- Verifying whether you are a vulnerable customer which may include us requesting information from your (or a member of your) household's doctor, any District Health Board, the Ministry of Social Development including Work and Income New Zealand and Family and Community Services or from any source trusted by us.
- The Lines Company and our Representatives for the purposes of supplying you with electricity and associated products and services.
- Any person in connection with any dispute organisation or scheme that we are a member of and any person to whom we are required to disclose such information either by law or in compliance with the Code or other Industry Codes and Standards.
Collection of your personal informationWe will collect personal information submitted by you through the Website, information on your browsing activity when using the Website, any communication with Electric Kiwi directly via writing, phone, or email, and information obtained through your use of the Services including promotions, surveys, recording of customer calls and live chat. We may supplement the information you provide us with information we receive from third parties who are involved in your electricity supply.
Personal information we may collectWe may, in addition to other information, collect the following information about you:
- Your name, email address, residential address, telephone number, gender and date of birth
- Financial information (although we do not store any of your bank account or credit card information)
- Preference information and marketing preferences.
- Information that you provide to us when we communicate via writing, email or phone.
- Details of your browser, domain name and IP address, and the details of any website you linked from to the Website.
- Other additional information required from time to time.
Use of your personal informationThe information that we collect from you may be used for a number of purposes relating to our business, which include:
- To confirm, assess, and ascertain your suitability to setup an account with us and utilise the services.
- Assessing your credit worthiness.
- Performing the services and any assistance required in connection with the services.
- To satisfy our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To contact you to ensure customer satisfaction in respect of our role as your electricity provider.
- To monitor, improve and administer the Website.
- Responding and following up on any queries, complaints or requests you might have made, and other customer care issues.
- Enable us to conduct surveys and analyse information pertaining to users of the Services and Website.
- To enable us to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations to you and other third parties involved in the supply of electricity to you and your property.
- To enable us to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations in connection with legal proceedings, crime or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution.
- Debt collection.
Protecting your personal informationWe will take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information that we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up-to-date and stored in a secure environment protected from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
Retention of your personal informationWe will hold your personal information both before and after the cancellation of your account, but only for so long as we are lawfully entitled to do so. This includes, for example, using your personal information for our general business purposes, to contact you if you switch electricity retailers in order to finalise your account and obtain feedback on our services, and if you owe us any money.
Sharing your personal informationWe will keep confidential all personal information collected about you. The only exceptions to this are:
- The disclosure relates to the purpose for which the information was collected.
- You have provided us with express consent to disclose your personal information.
- We may disclose certain personal information about you to third-party service-providers solely in the course of their provision of services to us. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that these service-providers are obligated to keep confidential any of your personal information that they receive and use.
- Any person or organisation authorised by the Privacy Act 1993.
- Persons or organisations to whom we may be required to pass your personal information for the purposes of complying with any legal, governmental or regulatory requirement on us or in connection with legal proceedings, crime or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution.
- In the event that we intend to enter into a major corporate transaction such as a sale of assets or control or we list on a stock exchange, we may disclose your personal information to third parties. If we disclose your personal information, we will take reasonable steps to ensure it remains confidential.
- pass and disclose that information to other debt recovery and/or credit checking agencies and their subscribers;
- use that information for the purposes of debt recovery and/or credit checking;
- publish that information on their debt recovery and/or credit checking databases; and/or
- provide that information to third parties for purposes of checking repayment history and/or creditworthiness.
Credit card securityYour credit card information is transmitted using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol, which encrypts your information. Payments will be processed after your invoice is sent, or when validating your details, each as described in our terms and conditions. We do not keep your credit card or bank account details. Your full credit card details will be encrypted and securely stored by a PCI compliant third party online payment provider.
We use Remintrex GmbH (Remintrex) to distribute marketing communications to individuals who have agreed with Remintrex or their partners to receive such marketing communications. When the Website is visited, a cookie report is sent to Remintrex indicating pages visited within the Website. The information is then stored on a Remintrex server. If you have agreed with Remintrex to receive marketing via E-Mail and/or SMS and/or receive marketing calls, Remintrex will send you marketing E-Mails and/or SMS and or to perform marketing calls on behalf of Electric Kiwi. The information communicated by the cookies will be used exclusively for marketing purposes. If you no longer wish to receive communications from Remintrex, you can use your browser settings to delete the placed cookie at any time. You will find instructions about how to do this in the “Help” function of your browser.
Accessing your personal informationIf you are a customer of Electric Kiwi, you may access some of the personal information that we hold about you in the "Your Account" section of the Website. You may request access to all of the personal information that we hold about you by contacting us at:
Attention: Privacy Officer
Electric Kiwi Limited
C/- Wynn Williams
Level 11, AIG Building
41 Shortland Street